Commercial and Corporate
Our firm has extensive experience providing legal advice for the incorporation of Mexican companies and the establishment of branches and subsidiaries of international companies in Mexico and their operations including the acquisition and/or leasing of their facilities, the decision-making process and its administrative aspects.
We have helped clients with Corporate Governance, Corporate Finance, Foreign Investment, Mergers and Acquisitions, Dissolutions, Purchase and Sale of Assets and Joint Ventures, as well as requesting and obtaining governmental licenses or permits
Our commercial and corporate practice extends to drafting and negotiation of all kinds of private and government contracts and agreements to structure business combinations, joint ventures, shareholders agreements, loan agreements, security interest documents and other documentation relating to the participation of foreign investors in business entities.
We have participated in high end transactional matters, incorporation of Mexican subsidiaries of international insurance companies and the obtention of special authorizations from the Mexican Insurance Commission to hire life insurance for human embryos with foreign insurance companies. Additionally, one of our partners serves as member of the board of directors of the Mexican Subsidiary of an international insurance company.
We have assisted insurers with their Regulatory, Organizational, Operational and Transactional requirements, Product Development and Establishment in Mexico.
Our maritime law team advises and assists shipowners and charterers with their operations in Mexico, including flagging and registration, navigation permits, and other regulatory matters related to the operation of vessels and offshore facilities, as well as assistance in transactional matters, including ship finance, building contracts, securities, registration of titles, mortgages and other guarantees.
Experience & Significant Cases:
• Advised an airports operator in Mexico in the drafting and negotiating of a global bonding agreement with an international insurance and sureties company.
• Successfully obtained on behalf of a Mexican fertility clinic a special authorization from the Mexican Insurance Regulator (Comisión Nacional de Seguros y Fianzas) to insure with a foreign insurance company, human embryos located within Mexican territory. Mexican Law forbids to hire insurance with foreign insurers for risks that may occur in Mexico; also, Mexican law forbids to hire life insurance for persons under 12 years of age. The clinic required to cover frozen human embryos under its custody and care against their potential death.
• Represented foreign and Mexican shipping companies with regulatory and contractual issues regarding the coastal carriage of materials for the construction of a train project in southeast Mexico.
• Advising shipowners in the purchase and financial legal work as well as the flagging procedure of a construction vessel including putting together a scheme as source of payment for creditors.
• Advising a port terminal in their regulatory issues, including permits with the ports regulator and advice in the renegotiation of their contract with the Mexican Government.
• Assisting and advising a shipyard in the drafting and negotiation of a long term contract for storage, handling and loading of coal and coke (carbon).
• Assisted a Mexican private collective ride hailing company with a legal opinion regarding its probable liability derived from the services rendered by third parties through their platform. AGB prepared a unprecedent legal opinion on (i) the company’s probable liability derived from the transportation services rendered by third parties and the owners of the vehicles through their platform; (ii) the type of Insurance to be hired as well as the proposed insurance that owners and drivers shall have in order to be able to provide their services through the Company; and (iii) the type of insurance that shall be provided to the users, as well as several additional means to protect all the parties involved.
Our Disputes team has represented our clients in a wide variety of cases, from debt collection and simple contract litigation to complex multi-jurisdictional disputes providing the same level of commitment regardless of the relevance of the case.
Labour & Employment
AGB’s Labour team have represented a wide range of employers from small businesses to food and drink industry up to large airlines and shipowners. Our experience includes defending employers in wrongful termination claims, including actions with multiple plaintiffs.