Marine & Shipping
Providing legal advice and assistance to shipowners, charterers, P&I Clubs and hull underwriters in casualties within Mexican waters.
Acting on behalf of shipowners, charterers, P&I Clubs and cargo interests in respect of cargo issues and disputes.
Provide legal advice and assistance in transactional matters, including ship finance, building contracts, securities, registration of titles, mortgages and other guarantees.
Acting of behalf of shipowners, charterers and insurers in dispute resolution in all types of maritime matters.
Experience & Significant Cases:
• Acting on behalf of shipowners in a series of complex claims in order to recover the possession of a vessel from the charterers under management from the Mexican government and obtaining the clearance to leave Mexican waters.
• Representing shipowners in the Mexican court procedures to claim the nullity of international arbitral awards
• Successfully acting on behalf of shipowners securing the release of a vessel arrested under a bunkers claim.
• Acting on behalf of shipowners in a claim from a shipyard regarding substantial repair costs and maritime liens.
• Represented foreign and Mexican shipping companies with regulatory and contractual issues regarding the coastal carriage of materials for the construction of a train project in southeast Mexico.
• Advising shipowners in the purchase and financial legal work as well as the flagging procedure of a construction vessel including putting together a scheme as source of payment for creditors.
• Advising a port terminal in their regulatory issues, including permits with the ports regulator and advice in the renegotiation of their contract with the Mexican Government.
• Assisting and advising a shipyard in the drafting and negotiation of a long term contract for storage, handling and loading of coal and coke (carbon).
• Defended shipowners in a labour claim from +80 crew members before Mexican courts;
• Successfully represented shipowners from a major fine from labour authorities due to alleged breach of HSQE regulations.
Insurance & Reinsurance
Legal determination of coverage, claims-related matters and subrogation cases in the following areas: Maritime, Air, Inland and Railroad Transportation, Property, and Fire Insurance.
Oil & Gas
Legal advice and assistance in the establishment of new companies in Mexico, and its participation in Bids with State owned and private oil companies.