Contentious cases are an important part of our practice. The main strength of our dispute resolution team is the diversity in the professional background of its members, which provides the team with varied points of view in every case. While the more senior members of our team have the required experience and know the nitty-gritty of the industries we serve, our younger lawyers possess a level of acquaintance with the novel legal procedures is Mexico that is hardly found in other firms.
Our Disputes team has represented our clients in a wide variety of cases, from debt collection and simple contract litigation to complex multi-jurisdictional disputes providing the same level of commitment regardless of the relevance of the case.
On the marine side, we have represented shipowners in litigation and arbitration arisen from charterparty disputes, vessel arrests, injury claims, recovery of seized assets, disputes as to ownership, diving services, among many others.
Experience & Significant Cases:
• Represented a local insurer in a series of property cases claiming excessive indemnities derived from damages caused by major earthquake in Mexico, successfully obtaining a substantive reduction in the damages awarded.
• Acting for a Mexican subsidiary of a foreign insurer defending the termination of an insurance contract due to the misrepresentation by the insured.
• Acting on behalf of insurers of a credit facility as co-defendants against a claim from the creditee for the alleged breach of contract from the creditor.
• Represented insurers in a recovery claim against builders for errors in a construction which caused flooding.
• Represented insurers in a subrogation recovering against cargo carriers in which the limitation of liability was successfully broken in favour of insurers.
• Represented insurers in a recovery against vessel charterers and their insurers for damages caused to port infrastructure.
• Acting on behalf of shipowners in a series of complex claims in order to recover the possession of a vessel from the charterers under management from the Mexican government and obtaining the clearance to leave Mexican waters.
• Representing shipowners in the Mexican court procedures to claim the nullity of international arbitral awards
• Successfully acting on behalf of shipowners securing the release of a vessel arrested under a bunkers claim.
• Acting on behalf of shipowners in a claim from a shipyard regarding substantial repair costs and maritime liens.
Commercial & Corporate
We have helped clients with Corporate Governance, Corporate Finance, Foreign Investment, Mergers and Acquisitions, Dissolutions, Purchase and Sale of Assets and Joint Ventures, as well as requesting and obtaining governmental licenses or permits.
Labour & Employment
AGB’s Labour team have represented a wide range of employers from small businesses to food and drink industry up to large airlines and shipowners. Our experience includes defending employers in wrongful termination claims, including actions with multiple plaintiffs.